Sunday 18 July 2021

All For a Few Photos -The End

I wasn’t up quite as early as planned but it didn’t take too long to get packed up and leave site; Greggs at Scotch Corner provided breakfast on my way to visiting relatives near Leeds. 

It’s been a bad few days on the roads and I got caught out on the A1M, ending up detouring for a few miles. Apart from that though it was a smooth run home with a couple of brief stops. 

Conclusions from the trip? Not too many really. Not having too much planned worked out ok this time but I’ll probably revert to normal practice next year! In the end I took the bike and never used it, that was partly due to how things worked out with meeting a friend on Thursday, when I might otherwise have gone cycling, and a lot to do with the hot weather at the back end of the week. I’m committed that in the future I’ll take one or other bike on most holidays. Having the bike rack on doesn’t cause too many problems and with the rat bike I don’t feel uncomfortable leaving it parked up for a few hours. 

Not camping related but my vague plan of retiring to Barnard Castle will need a rethink. It’s still a lovely place but the transport issues need considering - although most things are available in the town if you want to go further afield you have to drive or it’s a long bus ride, something that was mentioned by a couple of people. On the other hand it’s a very friendly place, other than on the main street you get a lot of good mornings or hellos from passing strangers and shop people are often ready for a bit of a chat. I’ve got ten years to make a decision but I might start looking for somewhere nearer a railway station. 😊

No comments:

Post a Comment