Wednesday 14 July 2021

All For a Few Photos - Day 6

Where I go on a road trip!

I followed a pattern set the last time I stopped here at Barnard Castle (which, coincidentally, was on the pitch opposite the one I’m on this trip) and had a drive round some old holiday haunts. Middleton in Teesdale was the site of two of my earliest holidays in, I think, probably 1967 and 1968. We stopped in a caravan permanently parked behind Bob Raine’s TV shop, the shop is now the Tourist Information and the yard behind seems given over to parking but they’re still there. I’ve been back a fair number of times since and could spend all night reminiscing. I did buy a book while I was there, actually more a booklet, on Industrial Steam Locomotives. It was only £2.99 from the community bookshop and won’t take up much room on the bookcase. 

From Middleton I headed over to Brough then stopped in Kirkby Stephen for a disappointing coffee in the bistro at the back of the outdoors shop. The next stop from there was the Wensleydale Creamery, I like a bit of cheese, Grommit! Good job too as there was loads of it in the Macaroni Cheese I had for lunch! The car park was nearly full so I was quite surprised to actually get into the cafe without a huge queue, I think that’s the first time I’ve eaten there. Of course I then visited the Cheese Shop and came away with some White and Blue Wensleydale cheeses as well as a book on Lost Railways of Durham and Teeside - do you know what an anorak is? Glen does! 

It’s only a short hop from there down to the Hawes car park. We first holidayed near Hawes in the hot summer of ‘76, fortunately the river ran just below the campsite; since then I’ve been back on a DoE practice weekend then took the folding camper there a few years ago. It’s always very busy but I was able to get parked, do a bit of shopping (fresh baked baguette to go with the cheese) and generally mooch around. 

In the past I’ve stopped in Leyburn as well but this time I just drove through and, with the SatNav set on Shortest Route headed back to BC. The army were clearly running around going bang-bang, I’d seen the red flags out early on near Middleton and this time I had to divert as two roads across one of the ranges were closed - it wasn’t a problem, and going round was better than getting shot! 

The last part of the route took me past Eggleston Abbey, last time I was there I witnessed clandestine goings on in the Rover Owners Club! Two pristine pre-classic Rovers were in the car park and a lady and gentleman were sharing a picnic, complete with genuine tartan flasks. The fact they’d driven out to a fairly obscure spot in separate cars certainly looked a bit suspicious. 

After that alll that remained was to fill the ‘van with petrol to save having to do so later in the week before getting back to site. There’s no photos of the day, although I had the camera, of course, I’ve photographed it all before and the day was more about reinforcing memories than anything else. 

No comments:

Post a Comment