Tuesday 13 July 2021

All For a Few Photos - Day 5

Should have gone to…Barnard Castle!

After another slowish start to the day I walked into BC. The first stretch from the site is down a busy road but there is a path then you can cross the river via a footbridge, where you probably get the best view of the castle itself. 



The shops haven’t changed much in the few years since I last visited, fortunately; something I didn’t mention yesterday was a malfunction in the walking shoe department, the lining on the heel of one having come away leaving quite a sharp edge. A couple of sticking plasters fixed it temporarily but my favourite outdoor shop came to the rescue again, as I commented to them, last time I was in it was for emergency boot laces, this time it was emergency boots! As a bonus the ones I got were discounted from £70 to £45. 

I’d had coffee and orange cake mid morning at The Hayloft Bistro and then went back to the same place for lunch. I didn’t want a huge amount so went for the Ploughman’s, suffice to say I won’t need much tea tonight! Pork pie, scotch egg, three different cheeses, fresh bread, pickles etc. all good quality and only £5. 



That was about it for the day, I wandered around, looked in a couple of bookshops but didn’t buy anything; I also browsed the estate agents window in passing as I have a long term plan to possibly move here when I retire. Suffice to say that the difference in property prices from where I live makes it feasible.  The visit ended with the walk down to the river via Thorngate Mill (which in the time I’ve known it has been a bookshop and an antiques centre but which is now apartments, yes I’d like one and yes I could probably afford one). 




The only problem with the place really is the fact the castle is at the top of a cliff so it’s a steep walk whichever way you go. This is looking back up the aptly named Bank towards the Market Cross. 



From there it was back over the river and up the hill to the site. I probably overdid it a bit but a sit down and a read, with the new sun canopy being used in anger for the first time, and I’m fine. Overall a much better day. 


No comments:

Post a Comment