Tuesday 4 June 2019

Go West - Wet, Wet, Wet!

I’m not referring to the singing group in the title but to the fact it’s rained most of the day! I’d got two railways to visit while moving between caravan sites, with a stop at Trago Mills on the way. For those who don’t know this is a large discount store selling just about anything you can think of. I only bought a couple of things I needed, partly due to lack of space.

The Bodmin and Wenford Railway is a fairly typical standard gauge preserved line. The problem today was that it was wet and very, very busy. This isn’t unusual, railways are a good attraction when it’s raining but I really could have done without yelping dogs and children. It’s effectively a Y layout as you run from Bodmin General to Boscarne Junction, back to Bodmin General, then to Bodmin Parkway and again back to Bodmin General. To avoid having to run-around several times we had a diesel loco at one end and steam (a J94 “Austerity”) at the other. Photo opportunities were limited but I managed to get some shots.

The second visit was, for me, the more interesting. The Launceston Steam Railway is not strictly a heritage line, it’s a 1’ 11 1/2” tourist railway laid on the old North Cornwall Railway. The engines are all restored historic stock and you get a choice of sitting inside or in the open “toast rack” coaches modelled on the Isle of Mann Steam Railway ones. I understand the railway is basically owned and run by a couple, with help from a number of staff. They seem to do everything from driving locos to clearing up in the tearoom! The history of how it came about is on their website.

The weather was a bit better whilst I was there, with some hints of sunshine, so I’ve got a few more photos this time, however not long after I set off to the caravan site the rain started up again and persisted until long after I’d arrived and got pitched. The sun did finally come out and promises to be fair tomorrow, which is good as I’m hoping to just go out on the bike. The view from the pitch would be great if it wasn’t for the caravans in the way!


No comments:

Post a Comment