Wednesday 5 June 2019

Go West - The Best Laid Plans...

I mentioned in the previous post that I intended to leave the ‘van on site today and just use the bike. All was going to plan, I’d charged the battery last night, sorted everything I’d need for the day and unloaded the bike. I did a quick power up and all was OK so I went to set off. Powered up the controller, it powered down again. Tried a couple more times and although it stayed on it was cycling through the settings repeatedly. I had to give up, load it back on the rack and drive instead. I’m fairly certain that water had got in to the handlebar bit and was shorting the buttons out. I did a quick check this afternoon and all seemed to work again so I’ll do a more thorough check at home. I’m also going to have to sort out a cover for when the bike’s on the rack to prevent this happening again.

First visit was the Cornwall At War Museum, quite appropriate with the D Day anniversary. It’s a very eclectic collection spread across several buildings but well worth the visit. They’ve even got some WD Railway stock and a short length of track, shame it wasn’t running! Just as I was finishing up the weather took an unexpected turn and it started raining, heavily. The forecast had been for sunshine all day. It didn’t last long though. The Museum is based on Davidstow Airfield (the cheese factory is next door), unusually you can drive across much of the airfield, including the runways, so I did that.

Having toured round a bit I went to Boscastle for a few hours. After a reasonable lunch I walked down to the harbour. It’s difficult to conceive, on a tranquil summers day with the burbling of the river over the shallows, that 15 years ago this August the nation watched as the village was devastated by a flash flood. There’s little trace of that now, just the odd plaque on buildings that were destroyed and rebuilt. My parents were in the village just a few days before the flood and a past acquaintance was there with her mother (who last saw her car on the news being swept out to sea). If there’s a saving grace it’s that there was, miraculously, no loss of life that day.

A quick trip into Camelford provided essential supplies (sausage and bacon for breakfast) before I headed back to the site. I’d seen a brown sign for the British Cycle Museum which looked worth a visit but I googled it and unfortunately it’s permanently closed. Most Club sites have Fish and Chip vans visiting once or twice a week, this one is no exception and tonight was one of the nights! Very nice it was too, unusually they prepare their own potatoes instead of buying them “ready chipped”, a definite improvement.

That’s now the end of using the campervan for a few days as I’m off to join friends for an activity weekend in Devon, so I shan’t now blog until the end of trip roundup.

No comments:

Post a Comment