Sunday 16 June 2019

Go West - The End and Postscript

From a campervan viewpoint there’s little more to add from the trip. After a few days fun in Devon with friends I stopped the night at the CAMC site at Illminster. It’s a peaceful site, albeit very open. I regretted the stop slightly, in hindsight I might just as well have driven home on the Sunday, particularly as my plan for a potter up through the Cotswolds with a wander round Stow on the Wold went out the window due to a long delay near Stonehenge and yet more rain. I always find the most depressing part of the holiday is getting home with unloading and washing to do but it has to be done.

A few conclusions came from the trip. I could have spent longer in Cornwall, while combining the ‘van holiday with the Devon hotel makes best use of the driving down there it does mean the first part of the trip is short and rushed. I’m not saying I won’t do it again but I’ll choose carefully where I go.

Even when I was having to unload the e-bike and bike rack in the rain I reckoned it was worth taking them. Due to the rain and damp problems (which I think have finally been cured by putting the control panel in the airing cupboard for a week) I only used the bike once, but I’d have used it again if I’d been able. Part of the problem though is it’s not really the right bike as I bought a folding bike due to not being able to fit a bike rack on the previous camper, that’s not now an issue. The small wheel size is a nuisance, making fitting panniers very difficult and reducing rideability. Depending a little on next years holiday plans (see below) I’m looking at options for a full size bike ideally with crank drive instead of hub.

I’m already debating where to go next year. Two places are likely, Kent and East Sussex for one and the South and Mid Wales coast. I was thinking of visiting the Isle of Man but I’ve decided the ferry is too expensive for the moment.

I’ve had one issue with the ‘van since the holiday, a dead battery. I’m glad it didn’t happen while I was away! Easily sorted (and fortunately I was parked next to a friend’s Berlingo so a jump start was easy), but would have been a nuisance in Cornwall.

No comments:

Post a Comment