Saturday 1 June 2019

Go West - Day 1

I’m now in Cornwall for a few days in the campervan. It’s a blooming long drive from home so I decided to break the journey at the Haynes Motor Museum. Reading reviews I found a one star score with comments along the lines of, “It’s just a lot of cars!” That’s very true (there are bikes as well) but what did they expect?

Most vehicles had a brief description card which was good but if I had a minor criticism it was that they’re sometimes inaccurate or many years out of date. Suggesting that Triumph are the only current British motorcycle manufacturer probably wasn’t true when the card was written (CCM have been around since 1971) and certainly isn’t now with Norton, Hesketh and a few others. They’re not the original companies of course, but neither is Triumph.

I found about an hour was long enough looking round before car overload started to set in so decided a cup of (very nice) coffee would set me up for the next part of the journey. I was very fortunate to be travelling into the west not away from it, I had virtually no holdups whereas the other carriageway had several long queues, that’s the advantage of coming away at the end of a school holiday! The second major stop was at The Great Cornish Food Store for a stock up of local produce. I sampled the Cornish Blue cheese, powerful with a half life comparable to Uranium as I could still taste it an hour later! I did buy some and may have it for supper.

Arrival and checking in at the site was smooth as usual, although it’s about 1/2 a mile from where the sat nav puts it. They’re fairly empty this week so I was able to pick an awning pitch even though I’d booked non-awning. Since then I’ve sat, read, dozed and eaten, with the odd can of beer thrown in. It’s a grass site, which makes a change from the usual hard standing, and there is s back gate onto the sand dunes but I’ll be settling reasonably early as it’s been a long day, I may get the bike out tomorrow when I get back and explore.

Tomorrow I plan to visit the Telegraph Museum and the Helston Railway. The latter is only open Thursday  and Sunday, limited opening is common for volunteer railways which is partly why I have to plan my trips in advance (the other reason is that I enjoy doing so!)

No comments:

Post a Comment