Wednesday 13 September 2023

Normal Service - The End

One of the reasons for going to Derbyshire was that I had a model railway show to visit in Staffordshire today, not quite on my way home but a reasonable diversion. I left the site at just on 8am (I try not to be moving any earlier to avoid disturbing other campers although it can’t always be avoided). A clear run got me to the show in plenty of time for the opening, the first visit being to the breakfast butty van! After s bit of s look round I met up with friends and we browsed the layouts together. 

The show was the 50th Anniversary event for the 009 Society so there was an excellent display of narrow gauge models from the tiny to the huge - some we’d seen before, others were new. There were also a good selection of relevant trade stands so I purchased two loco chassis, one I was going to get mail order anyway but catching up with the supplier saved me the postage! The drive home was also reasonable so overall a good day. 

Conclusions

Going away at this time of year is always a bit of a gamble weatherwise, and this trip has proved that! We’ve had blazing hot temperatures, pleasant days, dull cold days and torrential rain. Based on the few days before I came away I packed the chiller fan, in hindsight I’d have put the larger fan heater in instead as the small one is only just powerful enough. 

I’m going to look for a handlebar bag for the bike to carry the necessary bits and pieces. The crossbar bag I’m using just isn’t quite large enough for convenience (it was ok until I got the bigger phone) and the rack bag is good for shopping but not for general use. 

No comments:

Post a Comment