Wednesday 13 September 2023

Normal Service -Day 5

It’s been another pleasant day’s cycling today, helped by friends. 

The day started with a minor problem - the gas is getting very low! It’s my own fault for not checking it before I came away but I managed to cook breakfast, and will hopefully do so tomorrow before going hunting for a new bottle - the site wardens have pointed me to one likely supplier and if they can’t help there are others listed on the CampingGaz website. 

At lunch yesterday we’d arranged that my friends would collect me and my bike from the site, which was great as it saved me having to drive. Loading both bikes onto the carrier was an interesting exercise but we found a way that they’d fit and headed off to Parsley Hay. Two of us then headed down the High Peak Trail, the second of the ones I wanted to tackle this trip. It’s another reasonable ride, downhill most of the way we went but not all that steep which does mean the riding is fairly relentless as you get no option to free wheel at all. 


Interesting walled embankment, we suspect the buttressing is a later addition

The above photo could have proven very expensive, I took my glasses off to take it (the small camera I use on the bike had a very small viewfinder), then they fell to the ground and I trod on them! A few minutes back at the ’van with two sets of pliers and they’re wearable again, I’m due an eye test soon anyway. We did have a minor hold up due to grass cutting - I’m really not sure why this required vans in front and behind the cutting machine just about blocking the track so we had to go round on the verge - shorts and nettles are really not a good combination.


More industrial remains

We finished the ride at Middleton Top so there is a bit further for me to do another time down past the Steeple Grange Railway that I visited on Sunday to the canal at Cromford. As it was the other friend met us at the car park and we returned up to Parsley Hay for lunch. The trail had been very quiet when we were riding but it was very busy at the cafe, so much so that they’d run out of bacon and I think we got the last of the sausages for our sandwiches (very good sausage it was too)! I’m always quite happy when I’m riding alone but it was good to have company for a change and much appreciated. 

After my friends dropped me back to the site I sorted the bike out and loaded it back into the rack on the campervan. I’m not sure if it will get used again, it may depend on the weather over the next couple of days, but I’ve had two good ride outs so I’m happy. Some adjustment is needed on the derailleur as the chain is jumping very occasionally so it’s probably time I put the bike in for a service.

The forecast for tomorrow isn’t great, I’ll drive out to get some gas but I’m not sure what else I’ll do. It’s looking slightly better for Friday so I’ve booked for Poole’s Cavern which is a relatively short walk from the caravan site. 

No comments:

Post a Comment