Wednesday 17 October 2018

Oop North - Day 1

I’m having another long weekend trip, part campervan, part pub, this time to Yorkshire. The main purpose is the season end “do” for the canal theatre company I’m a supporter of but I’m taking the opportunity to visit some museums.

Today it was Armley Mills, the Leeds Technial Museum. After an easy drive up I got there at just the right time. Although it was originally a corn mill it was converted to a woollen mill in the early 1800’s and that’s still the main part of the displays. The downside was that there was a large school party visiting, but that did mean the Spinning Mule was demonstrated. Apart from that it’s all static displays (the steam Mill Engine does run but only on bank holidays). I managed to largely dodge the untethered children and had a decent look round. As I was leaving I got caught by a researcher doing a survey on the museum. I don’t really mind doing these as they are important for direction and funding but it was a bit long.

I then made a fatal mistake. The caravan site is near Hebden Bridge so I thought I’d go there for some lunch. I should have stopped in Sowerby Bridge on the way as every single parking space (bar one that there was no way I’d get in to) in HB was full. With Mytholmroyd being dug up as well I gave up and went to the site. I’d got lunch makings and beer anyway so it wasn’t an issue. The site is quite small so if you arrive in the afternoon you just pitch up and pay when the office opens. In the end I’m not sure if it was recent lack of sleep or the can of Tanglefoot but I had a decent snooze in the afternoon before visiting the office and coughing up just over £16 for two nights.

The Robin Hood is s bit of a pull up the hill (it’s the longest continuous incline in the country) but as with the last time I visited it’s great. First thing when I came in (I’m still there!) was being asked if I’d seen a missing dog. I hadn’t but before I’d finished the first pint it had been found and was shut in one of the cars awaiting collection. It’s a real locals pub, but one of those where you’re regarded as one of them as soon as you walk in. It’s also very dog friendly, there are free dog treats available!

The ‘van will be staying on site tomorrow as I’m getting the train to Leeds. More on that in the next blog.

Addendum

The hill is a popular challenge to the cyclists (it featured on La Tour). I saw a couple riding up in the near dark as I walked up to the pub and now a couple have appeared in the bar.

No comments:

Post a Comment