Sunday 26 August 2018

Wet, wet, wet!

I’m not referring to the band but the weather.

It was tempting to stay on site today with the rain being very heavy but I did go out. Plans for the day were flexible as they depended on whether I wanted to go back to Blists Hill. As I didn’t I started off at the Telford Railway. I felt sorry for them when I got there, they were supposed to be doing a 40’s weekend but it was a wash out for the day. The journey isn’t hugely long, and is a bit confusing as you go up the line from one station, back down a different line then back to the top and return to the start. Having retrieved the waterproof camera from the ‘van I got a few photos, I just didn’t dare get the good camera out it was so wet. As well as the main line they also have a small tramway running in a loop around part of the site. The trip round included a stop at the engine shed and a chance to look round in there. Overall a worthwhile visit but I wouldn’t mind going again on a sunny day.

The second attraction for the day was the Broseley Pipe Works (that’s pipe as in smoking not drain!)  It’s one of the Ironbridge museums that I’d never been to before. It was the last of many clay pipe factories in the area but closed in 1957 when the owner died and sat untouched until the Trust bought the site. We nearly didn’t get to go round as there was a problem with the lighting on the ground floor but the guide, having sought and not received any guidance, decided to go ahead anyway. He was a young chap from the village but did an excellent job. There is still a pipe maker who has a small workshop there, his products have appeared in the Lord of the Rings and Pirates of the Caribbean series.

That was about it for the day, I really didn’t feel like going anywhere else so headed back to site to relax.

PS (added later as I forgot about it). After the tram ride the driver plugged in the airline, I’m guessing it’s for the brakes as the engine probably doesn’t have a compressor. Unfortunately he then forgot to unplug it before setting off again! It was a good job somebody else noticed.

No comments:

Post a Comment