Tuesday 28 August 2018

I Got It Wrong!

When I planned this trip I’d got Ironbridge and Llangollen in mind and was just looking for something to do on the journey in between. The Severn Valley Railway fitted the bill but I now realise that it deserves more than being just a quick stop between sites.

I got away on schedule* and managed to find the car park at Bridgnorth Station (it wasn’t just me, as I was paying a couple asked if they were in the right place). The station itself is being redeveloped at the moment so the facilities are a bit limited. I’d timed it about right for the first train to Kidderminster. It was a fairly unremarkable journey, hauled by a 1930’s pannier tank. I was sat just behind the engine and there did seem a bit of concern before we set off about whether there was enough boiler pressure - we made it but the loco struggled with a long, fairly full train.

We had just under an hour at Kidderminster, long enough to have a look round the small, but good, railway museum. I was also able to watch them load a permanent way engine onto a low loader whilst waiting for the train to depart.  I got quite a few photos on the way back so I was fairly happy. What I missed out on was stopping at some of the intermediate stations, in particular I’d have liked to stop at Highley where they’ve built an engine shed and visitor centre. I definitely think another visit is needed.

The drive along the A5 to Chirk was slow in places, just weight of traffic, but I got on site and booked in at a reasonable time. I was debating what to do, and feeling a bit “bleugh” for no real reason, but settled on a walk down to the village, about a mile. There’s not much to see really! There isn’t a pub as such, only the Hand Hotel, so I walked down the hill to the Bridge Inn, thus passing back into England! They only do a limited menu early in the week but the burger I had was passable. I might not have stopped for food but I got talking to a couple from the site who are on their way home from Shrewsbury Folk Festival, we had a good chat and then walked back to the site the scenic route, up to the canal, over the aquaduct and through the edge of the estate. They were a lovely couple and talking to them really cheered me up.

I’m still in two minds tomorrow. Plan A is to get the train to Shrewsbury, I haven’t decided yet if there’s a plan B!

*It was only when I pitched at Chirk that I realised I’d left my pitch sign at the previous site. Not a major issue but I’ve had to buy a new one and fix it with gaffer tape for the moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment