Saturday 12 May 2018

North East Day 8 - I've Done It Again!

If there's been an ongoing theme to this trip it's the fact that I've been a few months too early for several things, and the same was true today. The last time I was in this area the Weardale Railway wasn't running. It's a complex setup whereby the track is owned by a Community Interest Company but the trains are run by a Trust (which has a minority holding in the CIC). I think there'd been some disagreement that season preventing the Trust operating. As a result it was fairly high on my list of attractions to "do", The heritage service currently runs from Stanhope to Witton-le-Wear but I found out that within a month or two they will be extending onwards to Bishop Auckland. It's another excuse to visit again!

The service currently runs with a single car DMU but they have recently purchased a two car set as well. They also have one steam loco currently undergoing restoration, No. 40. In the background to this pic you can see some of the coaches for "The Train to Christmas Town", a themed service run by the CIC.


It's not the most exciting railway I've ever been on, the scenery is reasonable, but it's possibly the bumpiest! Some of the line could definitely benefit from a bit of maintenance. There is some evidence around of the original purpose of the line, quarrying. "Frosterley Marble", a black limestone was quarried in the area, many local fonts are made with this and there are 9 columns in Durham Cathedral that also use it. There's a sample on display at Frosterley Station.


After the railway I drove up into the village and, continuing another theme of the week, managing to snag a parking space right in the centre! It's always a busy enough place and the crowds were out even though there was still a chill bite to the wind. I walked up to the relatively new Durham Dales Centre, primarily a small shopping centre with mainly craft and gift outlets. They did have an exhibition about the Durham Light Infantry, in particular the musical history of the Regiment. Sir Malcolm Sargent served with them in 1918 (he was educated at Durham University). Following the closure of the DLI museum a few years ago the Councils did promise display such as this, but the reality is that very few people will actually see this. I also had to assist with trying to get the audio to play for them, the "technical" person who could work the iPad wasn't there!

Rather than head directly back to Durham I popped over the hills to Teesdale for a quick wander round Barnard Castle. It's one of my favourite towns and a possible retirement location (in a lot of years unless Camelot surprise me). I did a bit of book shopping before deciding it was time to return to site. I had failed on the parking having missed turning into a free space so was in the long stay car park; it cost me a whole £1 coin to park there until 08:19 tomorrow, although I only needed an hour or so. On the whole where I have paid to park the charges have been very reasonable.

I have a dilemma for tomorrow. The plan was to visit a model railway exhibition near Derby however with the M1 being completely closed around Jn. 24 it really makes more sense to go down the A1 instead. I'll study the options later but I think going the M1 route will add a lot of time to the journey.


No comments:

Post a Comment