Wednesday 9 May 2018

North East Day 5 - Venerable Saxons

I knew in advance that my plans for the day would leave me time for some freestyle activities as I visited Jarrow Hall for the Bede Museum and Gyrwe Anglo-Saxon Farm. Neither exactly disappointed me but there could have been more. The museum does tell the story of early Christianity in the North East, and of Bede's life, quite well. There aren't a huge number of artefacts but it's reasonably presented without an excess of modern AV production.

The Farm is a bit or a motley collection of old animal breeds and a few reconstructed buildings. It's partly intended as a way for the historians to learn more about how things may have been done and obviously also as a teaching centre. It was pleasant enough to wander through but educationally I think it really needed the  guided tour. The animals seemed contented enough, in fact they were as happy as pigs in...


After a decent cup of coffee I decided to follow the river out to the coast at South Shields. I stopped at the mouth of the Tyne for a quick photo or two, this one is looking over the river to Tynemouth Castle and Priory with Collingwood's statue to the left.


From there I drove into the town and picked up Fish and Chips at Colmans, who're fairly famous. You know the fish must be fresh when they can tell you which boat caught it! I'd parked just round the corner and as I sat eating in the 'van a couple of youths got out of a car and started wandering around. One had a bottle of vodka on the go and it was obvious something was happening. One knocked on the 'van window and asked if I knew somebody, which of course I just said, "Sorry, not a clue mate!" They weren't showing signs of violence but I'm betting if they'd found the person there would have been some sort of trouble so I decided to finish up and leave. 

As I'd arranged to meet friends in Cramlington, but with time to spare, I drove back through the Tunnel and, after a brief tour of Wallsend (I did say I was freestyling) followed the river down to Tynemouth itself. Unfortunately I was about 10 minutes too late to get a photo of a car transporter coming in to the river mouth, by the time I'd parked and paid it was gone. I had a quick wander round then followed the coast up through Cullercoats and Whitley Bay to Blyth. I was interested to see what shipping there might be around as there'd been a bulk carrier anchored off since I arrived. There were a few vessels in but nothing terribly exciting. One of the features of Blyth these days is how close to the wind turbines you get. This is what happens when you photograph one with HDR turned on:


From Blyth it was a simple enough drive to Cramlington for a trip into Sainsburys to stock up on bread, salad and to replace a couple of tins I'd used earlier in the trip. With very limited storage I rely on regular shopping, ideally at independents where possible but supermarkets are handy. I then met my friends in the local Wetherspoons for a lovely meal and chat. It's some years since we'd seen each other but soon put the world to rights. Unfortunately by the time we left the rain had started and at the moment looks like it's set in for the night. The forecast for tomorrow is decent though when I leave here for Durham.







No comments:

Post a Comment