Thursday 3 August 2017

Snowdon Again - Day 2

Back to normal today, playing trains! The main reason for coming to Snowdonia early was to ride the Welsh Highland Railway. I simply couldn't fit it in last year!

The WHR is part of the Ffestiniog Railway (and mustn't be confused with the Welsh Highland Heritage Railway which also runs out of Porth Madog). Fortunately I left the campsite a bit earlier than I needed to for the walk to the station as just after I arrived the heavens opened. There'd been heavy rain on-and-off overnight anyway but it had largely stopped for a while. The train was busy but I managed to find a single seat. The only problem with narrow gauge carriages is they tend to have narrow gauge seats and I have a broad gauge b*m but I coped.

It was only really as we were approaching Caernarfon that the weather cleared so I moved to the semi-open coach instead. I stuck with that for the rest of the day although I did have to put my anorak back on and shift sides at one point.

The scenery is absolutely stunning for much of the journey, with (on a rare clear day) views of Snowdon. It's about the only railway I know with three distinct weather zones though. You have the mountain weather, cold but dry winds, maritime weather, cold, damp breezes and in between a brief temperate zone where the wind is noticeably warmer.

Putting my anorak on, Porth Madog must be unique in having two different heritage railways in the station running different articulated loco styles. As I mentioned yesterday the WHR runs mainly with Beyer-Garrets (the one hauling us today was built in Manchester in 1958 for South Africa). They have a single firebox and boiler with articulated wheelsets at each end, the front carries the water tank and the rear the bunker. The Ffestiniog have the Fairlie Patent locos, these have two separate fireboxes and boilers, again with articulated wheelsets.

The reason for these designs is basically to get a large loco onto a tight radius track. Most were narrow gauge (only one standard gauge Garret survives, in non-running order at Bressingham although the 3' 6" gauge one I saw in Queensland is a much larger loco). A standard tank engine simply wouldn't have the power, or tractive effort, to haul heavy trains in the same way. Even with the design when pulling out of a couple of stations this morning with a full train on very wet rails they got some wheel slip, the climb out of Beddgelert is steep, the line doubles back on itself twice as it leaves the station to gain height.

Once back off the train I decided to treat myself to an ice cream. I may have found a new favourite flavour! Banana and Choc Chip was delicious if subtle. I've followed that up with a pint while I make use of the pub WiFi.

No comments:

Post a Comment