Sunday 11 June 2017

Moorish Trip - The End

As I've been stopping in a hotel since Thursday I haven't updated the blog but there were some highlights.

Thursday morning I decided to get an early start from Minehead so was off site by about 7am. If I do leave early I try and be as quiet as I can be of course! Having parked in Okehampton the first job was breakfast, I'd just walked to the high street when I spotted the Wetherspoons! Unusually there were a couple of very minor problems, I chased up my breakfast when a group I knew had ordered after me got theirs' first, then the sausage was missing. No real problem, easily sorted, I might have got a free coffee out of it but I'd gone for the free refills anyway!

I had a wander round the town, including looking round the small museum, but as it was wet and miserable I skipped the castle for another year and went to the hotel for lunch. The Manor House Hotel is a Sport, Craft and Spa hotel. Their activity weekends are great value and there's lots to do. We had a group of about 50 there and had a great time.

To fit with my usual activities I signed up for the Dartmoor walk, which had the advantage of a ride on the Dartmoor Railway. This is one of the shorter heritage lines (at least from Okehampton to Melden Viaduct which we did) and is run with diesel railcars. There wasn't much of a view as it was raining! The walk leader was very good and took us round some industrial heritage before we got back to the railway and, more critically, the buffet coach! The coffee and cake were very welcome. The Dartmoor is another very friendly volunteer run railway so is thoroughly recommended.

Other activities I took part in were Adventure Golf (we stopped counting strokes), Archery (I'll do that again) and I started a sign for the house. The run back from Devon is really just a slog. Even cutting across the Cotswolds doesn't alleviate the tedium that much but there's little alternative. I will be going on the weekend next year but I doubt I'll combine it with a holiday next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment