Monday 5 June 2017

It's Raining, It's Pouring - Moorish Trip Day 3

Weatherwise this has been about as bad a day as I've had on holiday for a long time. It started off wet and got steadily worse, with high winds as well. In some ways sitting on a steam train was a good thing to be doing but the photo opportunities were severely limited.

The West Somerset Railway is remarkable for one thing, the sheer friendliness of the volunteers. Every single one from the ladies in the shop at Minehead to the two gents minding the track crossing at Bishops Lydeard was ready for a good morning or a chat. It's darn good value for money too as it's the longest heritage railway in England.

On a fine day you'd get a good view of the coast in places and there's a reasonable amount of interest. I had considered alighting at Watchet to explore but in the rain decided I'd drive up there another day. There's a boat museum there among other things. That will probably be tomorrow if the weather is better, although there's also a railway museum* at Washford which isn't open until Wednesday.

*Although it's the West Somerset Railway the Somerset and Dorset Railway Trust run this particular museum and have a small restoration group there.

I did explore the small Gauge Railway Museum at Bishops Lydeard but the model railway display wasn't open, always a problem midweek.

On return to Minehead I visited the Turntable Cafe, an excellent pasty and home made cheese sandwich sufficed for lunch. I then wandered through the town, getting wet, before looping back round and up to the site. I can't say I achieved much by doing so, but at least I've seen a bit of the place.

The next couple of days are very weather dependent. The forecast is reasonable at the moment, dry with some sun. If that's the case I'll get out and about. If it does turn out to be wet I'll have a look for some indoor attractions to visit - there's always the Bakelite Museum (see the book Bollocks to Alton Towers for details).

No comments:

Post a Comment