Tuesday 17 September 2024

Suzie’s Adventures in Sunderland - Conclusion

Having had a reasonably easy drive home here’s a few conclusions and thoughts from the trip. 

Stopping in a city hotel certainly had some advantages, for two days the car didn’t move as I could cycle or catch the train (and could have caught busses); the downside is it wasn’t a peaceful spot with building works behind the hotel and loud, often thumping, music from the adjacent buildings. The hotel itself was excellent though, with helpful friendly staff and good food and drinks. I’d probably not stay in this particular one again but would visit one of the others in the group. 

It wasn’t a cheap hotel but I reckon it cost me about £100 per night extra compared to using the campervan. As I’d estimate the ‘van costs over £1,000 per year in insurance, tax and servicing/MOT that means I’ve got to use it for a minimum of 10 nights to be worthwhile, and at the moment it’s just not happening. It will be different when I finally retire, and I’ll then think again, but my inclination is to sell this one on while it’s still got some MOT. 

The folding bike worked, if only used one day (it could have been more under other circumstances). It gives me an extra option when I’m away in the car. Cycling does restrict me camera wise, as I’ve found the normal camera is a bit too cumbersome on a bike, but the smaller waterproof camera has proved an excellent buy, with decent quality photos (and it has an electronic viewfinder, not just a screen, which is unique in that sort of cameras). 

I need to sort out the underfloor storage in the car boot slightly so that, for example, the tyre compressor is readily available. I also need to add a basic picnic set - I’ve been spoilt having the camper as it’s got knives, plates, etc to hand. It doesn’t need to be anything sophisticated, I’ve probably got what I need already, but when picking up pies and the like from farm shops it would be easier to be able to cut them up. 






No comments:

Post a Comment