Sunday 2 June 2024

Campervan Update

As I’m going away soon in the ‘van I needed to do some sorting and tidying. 

The first issue was getting it started - it really doesn’t like getting going after standing for a while! Having flattened the battery once I put it on the big charger overnight then put it back in the car. Putting the charger back on in boost/start mode finally got it going but left me with the engine warning light on. I hoped a run round the block might cure it but after a few miles it was still on so I ordered a cheap bluetooth reader to see if I could diagnose the problem and hopefully reset it. Unfortunately whilst the app would talk to the reader and the reader seemed to establish communications with the engine management it couldn’t actually read anything. I was preparing to call the local garage to see if I could pop in for them to try when I realised that the warning light had finally cleared itself! Plan B would have involved using Suzie Too and hotels instead, I’m glad it’s not necessary (not least because room prices at relatively short notice weren’t cheap). 

With that done I just needed to do all the usual prep before the first trip of the year, including giving all the cooking and eating stuff a good wash. Unfortunately my trusty folding kettle had gone a bit grotty and, while trying to clean it, I noticed a crack starting to develop. For obvious safety reasons it went in the bin and a new one is on order. I also swapped the gas hose as the old one was out of date and showing signs of starting to crack and did some general cleaning. 

The final job before I start packing for the trip was to take the ‘van up to Dad’s and get the pressure washer out. It’s a lot easier washing vehicles at his house as there’s an outside tap and plenty of space on the drive. I’m not saying it’s perfect, but at least it doesn’t look like a vehicle that’s been neglected for several months! 

After the problems with starting, and given the lack of use of the ‘van, I was seriously thinking it’s time to sell it on for whatever I can get - realistically the vehicle itself has little value, maybes £500 or so, so the money is in the second hand value of the fit out and equipment. Looking at hotels, and their cost, for the Cheddar trip, and realising that other pressures have impacted on use in recent years, made me think again. I’ll stick to keeping this campervan for as long as it’s economical to run it, I’ll think again if and when it needs expensive repairs. I’ll definitely go away at least once more this year and I’ll start planning at least two long trips next year plus some long weekends. 

No comments:

Post a Comment