Sunday 7 August 2022

Scotland 2022 - Conclusions

Having just got home after a slowish run back from Dunblane I thought I’d post the usual conclusions from the trip. 

First the good bits! The electrics behaved impeccably, I checked this morning and, having not driven since Thursday afternoon, the leisure battery was still about fully charged so the solar panel kept up with the coolbox despite some typically Scottish weather. The recent additional storage was beneficial, the overhead net carried my suit for a posh dinner and the IKEA hanging pockets were also well used - the one I’ve hung inside the rear passenger door means I can now open that door without loads of stuff falling out! 

Nog so good, I still haven’t managed to fully reseal the roof vents, although the leakage is a lot less they still weren’t proof to heavy rain. My site planning was awry in hindsight; I should have just spent the one night at Whitley Bay, then moved to a site in Northumberland after visiting Cragside. From there I could have done Morpeth and either returned to that site or gone a bit further North rather than heading straight to Edinburgh. 

Part of the reason is that it turned out that getting in and out of the Edinburgh Club site isn’t all that easy, if I’d stopped another night in Northumberland I could have visited the Museum of Flight, spent a night in Edinburgh, visited the Bo’ness Railway then stopped a bit further North. It would have saved a lot of driving! 

I’d pondered over whether to take a bike. Security issues at the Edinburgh site were part of the reason I didn’t but I regretted it afterwards. There were at least two occasions when I could have explored further, at Whitley Bay and Bo’ness, if I’d had even the folding bike. One job over the winter therefore is to work out the best way of carrying the folder, ideally without using the big bike rack. We’ll work on that. 

1 comment: